Monday, January 11, 2010

Adventures in crazyville

After getting Ryan, Krista, and Amelia out the door this morning I took the other 3 kids down to the basement so that I could use the treadmill while Braldey played Wii fit.  Ryan called during this to apologize for not getting the trash and recycling taken to the curb for pick up.  I promptly forgot about the phone call and went about my morning.  I came upstairs to write something cute that Melissa said when I heard the garbage truck.  I looked outside to see if it was the company that we use.  Of course it was.  So I had only a moment to decide.  Do I go another week with an already full trashcan or throw on my boots and take it out?  Of course I threw on my boots and ran down the street with no coat on, in my Mary Engelbreit pajamas, pulling the trashcan behind me, yelling "Wait my husband forgot to put out the trash before he left."  I caught up to the truck about 4 houses down.  The guys looked at each other and then looked back at me like I was the Mayor of Crazyville.  Thankfully he emptied the can and gave it back to me wishing me a nice day.  I dragged the can back up the hill and into the garage, put the recycling out, and closed the garage.   Oh, and my neighbor had someone sitting in her car in the driveway.  I am sure she too thinks that I am crazy.  Ahhh isn't life fun?
So now for the story about Melissa.  She found her ziplock with her snack in it left over from church and brought it down to the basement.  She sat down in my lap (while I was helping Braldey learn to write his name).  This is how our conversation went.
M:  This is my church snack?
Me: Yes it is.
M: Jesus loves me Mom?
Me: Yes Melissa Jesus does love you. Do you know that Jesus loves you?
M:  (With a nod of her head) Jesus loves you Mom.
I was so touched and surprised by what she said.  Such a sweet testimony that our children can learn these simple truthes when they are young and that WE need to teach them.  I am so grateful for the knowledge that we have that Jesus does love us.
As difficult and crazy as my life can be I love it because of those sweet and tender moments.

2 comments:

Katy said...

I loved reading that story.. reminds me of the MANY times I ran out of my house in my p.j's screaming for the trash guy to stop! At least we can laugh about it huh?
Melissa is such a treasure! What a sweet little spirit she has. You guys are awesome!!! WE love your family! Just thought you should know!

Joslin said...

Crazy how life lets you forget about daily things, running after the garbage truck is a classic! Just saw some pictures of your cute family, so happy to see everyone growing so much! Love you guys!